The collaborative, web-based, massively multiplayer game Glitch began its initial private testing in 2009, opened to the public in 2010, and was shut down after 3 years. It was played by more than 150,000 people and was widely hailed for its original and highly creative visual style.
Glitch was a labor of love, created by a passionate and diverse team filled with wonderful talents. It also had a fanatical community of players who created a world of their own inside the game. Unfortunately, the game was not commercially viable. But all good things come to an end, etc. Shutting the game down was heartbreaking, but, by releasing the game’s art to the public domain we hope Glitch will live on.
The entire library of art assets from the game, has been made freely available, dedicated to the public domain. Code from the game client is included to help developers work with the assets. All of it can be downloaded and used by anyone, for any purpose. (But: use it for good.) The game’s developer, has relinquished its ownership of copyright over these 10,000+ assets in the hopes that they help others in their creative endeavours and build on Glitch’s legacy of simple fun, creativity and an appreciation for the preposterous. Go and make beautiful things.
The files in this section are packaged as development assets for software developers. You must be running Adobe Flash CS5 or later to open and use them. What’s in here:
- The FLA zip files contain art and source code. You need these files to modify animations.
- The SWF zip files contain compiled versions of everything in the FLA zip files.
- The GitHub repositories contain everything in the FLA and SWF zip files.
If you are not a developer with access to Adobe CS, don’t worry! We will post links to the projects created with these files as they become available.
Items, Avatars, Inhabitants & More
- All Spritesheets (flat images): ZIP (372MB)
- Items & Inhabitants: FLAs (745MB) • SWFs (63MB)
- Player Houses: FLAs (151MB) • SWFs (11MB)
- Overlays (Effects): FLAs (85MB) • SWFs (3MB)
- Avatars: FLAs (90MB) • SWFs (4MB)
- Wardrobe (Clothing): FLAs (278MB) • SWFs (15MB)
Client Location SWFs: SWFs (52MB)
Alpine Style: FLAs (10MB) • SWFs (1.25MB)
Firebog Style: FLAs (43MB) • SWFs (4MB)
Groddle Style: FLAs (47MB) • SWFs (5MB)
Ilmenskie Style: FLAs (27MB) • SWFs (2MB)
Ix Style: FLAs (11MB) • SWFs (2MB)
- glitch-avatars – Art and source for the game’s customizable avatars.
- glitch-locations – Art and source for the game’s streets.
- glitch-overlays – Art and source for the game’s overlays.
- glitch-items – Items, NPCs, and other game assets.
- glitch-client – Source for Glitch’s Flash-based browser client.
- glitch-hq-android – Glitch HQ Android app.
- glitch-GameServerJS – Server-side Glitch gameplay JS
All files are under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal License. This is a broadly permissive “No Rights Reserved” license — you may do what you please with what we’ve provided. Our intention is to dedicate these works to the public domain and make them freely available to all, without restriction. All files are provided AS-IS. Developers cannot provide any support to help you bring these assets into your own projects.
Note: the Glitch logo and trademark are not among the things we are making available under this license. Only items in the files explicitly included herein are covered.
There is no obligation to link or credit the works, but if you do, it would be greatly appreciated.